Child support presents many challenging issues, whether you’re seeking it as part of a divorce or just as monetary support from the other parent. Every child has a right to each parent’s support, care, and nurture, and each parent has a legal obligation to provide those.
Let a child support attorney from The Law Offices of James Gahring Gault in Bel Air, MD, assist you in seeking a fair child support order that will directly benefit your family.
Child Support Under Maryland Law
Created and passed by Maryland in 1989, Title 12 of the Family Law Article sets out guidelines that determine child support orders. These guidelines help with the following:
- Limit the Circuit Court’s role in determining child support amounts through limiting the need for fact-finding.
- Adjust the discrepancies between the realities of child-rearing costs and underpaying child support orders.
- Enhance the impartiality and uniformity of all child support orders.
- Settle the child support orders quickly.
Maryland law determines child support orders based on a statutory calculation, which applies each parent’s gross monthly income as well as a limited number of deductions or credits.
Once the law has determined a specific amount for a child support order, the Circuit Court will determine a commencement date for the child support (often the date of the first court filing that requests child support). If a parent has made voluntary payments after this date, that parent may request credit for those voluntary payments.
The Circuit Court will examine many factors in determining the child support obligation, such as the following:
- Actual income of both parents
- Daycare expenses
- Different expense types
- Different income types
- Extraordinary medical expenses
- Health insurance coverage
- Inappropriate or unjust amounts
- Income levels above or below $15,000
- Number of overnights the child spends with each parent
- Other children in household
- Voluntary impoverishment or loss of job
Don’t face a difficult child support challenge by yourself. Rather, be sure to contact an experienced family law specialist about legal representation.
Child Support Attorney in Bel Air
At The Law Offices of James Gahring Gault, you’re more than a number — you’re an individual. With over 25 years of experience, our office has the knowledge and resources to provide you with a voice.